Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Juicing and new Eating Habits

Many of you know I have been embarking on a new adventure of more conscious eating habits.
I am so happy to tell you that Connor decided to join me as did Alexander to a point.
It all started when I was immersed in watching a lot of Documentaries about where our food supply comes from (scary) and how much the right foods (real foods) can impact our health (YEAH:).

So I went and bought me a Breville Juicer about 3 or 4 weeks ago and so much has changed since then.
My vegetable and Fruit intake has been my main food source with meat almost completely eliminated. I have cut down on Caffeine (NO more Soda and only a slip of three Coffee Cups in three weeks).
I have cut back a lot on Bread's, Pasta and Potatoes. I still have some cutting back to do when it comes to rice.

The way I approach this is by me buying lots of Fruits and Veggies that are in Season. I try to but locally produced Products or Organic. I then use about 70% of this to make various combinations of Juices and the other 30% I use for Salads, Soups and Smoothies.

I still bake and everything I bake is from scratch. Organic Butter and Eggs, raw untreated sugar and unbleached flour. I have been good at not eating it but my three men still inhale it all happily :)
I also have the challenge of still cooking meals as my two little boys are good at trying new things most of the time, they are still to set into the meat, potato and Pasta world to make a quick change and Ron is not ready to make a change like this.

I wish I could tell you that changing my way of eating (it is NOT a diet as this is how I plan on eating for the rest of my life!) would have helped me loose a lot of weight so far but it is a slow progress as I am of course not perfect. I love, love, love Salt and Sugar, and even if it is Sea Salt and raw sugar it is of course still not god for you - lol.
Also I find out that my love of traveling and eating healthy is more challenging! When on the road you crave the local fare and trust me when I am New Orleans I will eat Beignets and when in Italy I will eat that Gelato and Pizza;) So while on our trip to TX this past weekend I had some Tiramisu and a very yummy French Onion Soup at our favorite Bakery there.
I also had my favorite Grilled Shrimp Salad at the Rockfish Restaurant so my meat intake was not completely under control ....

NOW... here is what I can say that has been the best part about all of this change. I have by far more energy! I wake up each morning between 6:30 am and 7 am and I am good to go until 10 pm at night. I hardly crave a nap anymore and feel much more inclined to take walks and hikes with the boys and work out. Almost all my headaches are gone and I just feel physically much better over all. That alone is a huge payoff :)

Now, I never thought I could easily quit eating meat. I am a German Girl that has loved Sausages and Meat for as long as I can remember. 
I can honestly say it was very easy to stop eating meats by watching the Documentaries on Netflix. Just now recalling the images on how those animals we consume are treated makes my stomach turn. The meats that make it into the Supermarket do not come from little happy cows, pigs and chickens that run across the pasture and live this happy life. They get mistreated, abused, injected with Hormones and Antibiotics and suffer just horribly under this human control we have over them.
Now if you want to jump even more forward you realize that it is not just the meat that is compromised it is also the product that comes out of these poor animals..... the eggs and the milk..... Now add GMO to the mix and even other food sources are badly compromised :(

I am convinced at this point that we all are eating ourselves sick.... obesity, diabetics, cancer .... to me it all leads back to food..... many of these should not be an issue but sadly is.

I know I sound as if I am preaching but that is not my intent. We are all on a journey and I just feel bad it took mine so long to come to this point.
I only try to explain why I changed how I eat and why it works for me. It is however harder now for me to listen to people complain about all their health issues that could most likely be easily changed by them being aware what and how they eat.
We all make a choice and in the end we have to live with it. So if you eat lots of fast food, smoke and drink and then face Diabetes, Lung and Heart Issues and down the road some Liver problems I am not the one going to be surprised..... and neither should you ... it is almost a simple math.
I love cars and the way I look at it is I have never put poor quality gas or oil in my cars because I want them to run smoothly ... so why do we put junk into the one machine that moves us?

Hugs,

R A C A

3 comments:

  1. love this post Anke! Honest and moving, not preachy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog.....wondering if you've noticed a difference yet in your sons JDM with juicing? I know that the post was just published, but thought maybe you've been juicing for longer than the post has been published? Also, forgive me for asking questions which I'm sure I could get the answers to by searching your blog long enough, but are your twins ID? They look like it in the picture. I also have ID twins boys and a daughter with JDM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, if you are going to respond, please do it via email, not my blog. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete