Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Friday, May 28, 2010

Picking up Speed and having a great week .. but also some very sad news ...



It is Thursday today and not sure why but the sun has been shining on us as a family this week :)

Connor is about the same as last week which means pretty great. Right now as I am typing this he is on the swing while Alexander is playing Forest Ranger.

I got a real treat this week since I got to travel to Keller/Southlake, TX for a Girls Night Out and a Goodbye Dinner for my beautiful friend Sonya. I left early on Wednesday and I got back on Thursday morning. I know you all know this already but there is no Therapy in the world that is better then spending some wonderful time with Girl Friends. So I got spoiled starting my arrival with a trip to my favorite Store 'Central Market' and the Gelato is still as good as I remembered - Ha Ha. So 'YES' Sonya, I want to tell you different BUT you will miss Central Market when you move but the you will be 'only' 6 hours away - Ha Ha
Lunch with Heidi and Sonya was heaven and then there were about 12 Girls for Dinner at Kobeya Japanese Grill and Sushi. Trust me when I tell you for a Girls Day and Night Out it can not get much better then this .... and this brings me to my wonderful husband, Ron, who made it all possible. For one by being home and not having a trip scheduled and for another to take over being in charge of dispensing medicine to Connor. The boys also got treated to a Dinner and a movie (Mary Poppins) at the Lake George Pizza :):):) THANK YOU!!!

Now Thursday morning on my way home from the Airport I stopped by the Gateway School to sign up the boys for next years 1st Grade Cottage Online School Program. I met Mrs. Struble, Connor and Alexander's Cottage School teacher in her Class Room and I have to tell you I feel bad now for not mentioning her sooner on my blog. The boys had her for Kindergarten from August 2009 to December 2009 when Connor got sick and we had to take both boys out of school for the rest of the year. Mrs. Struble is 100% what the boys needed and need in a teacher but she is also exactly what I need and that is the part that is so rare :) Growing up I had way to many conflicts with teachers and it is hard at times to trust them when I recall constantly what I went through.
Anyway, I got to talk to Mrs. Struble for a little while and if you know that she raised twin boys, home-schooled them and even had one of her boys be as active as Alexander is, she truly is a match made in heaven! What really touched me was also her telling me that I can relax in regards to the boys reading skills and that she thinks they are very bright and that there is no worry for me in her eyes.
Connor and Alexander are now getting signed up for the Little Lincoln On-Line School Program for 2010/2011 and a possible part time Cottage School as well. I am beyond happy that everything is falling in place when it comes to the boys being set up for 1st Grade and all of it is due to the consideration, caring and compassion from Mrs. Struble. I am sure you know it by now but we so love her!
I also picked up the Yearbook, and the boys loved seeing their picture at the Twins Page and that they were included in a picture each of Mrs. Struble's Class lineup even thought they were not part of the whole school year. I am also in shock that we will receive a $600 Stipend to buy a computer for the boys so they can participate in the online program.

When I made it home I was so happy to see all three of my men who to my surprise were waiting for me with the Excursion ready to go and the trailer attached. I changed cloths quick and we headed to Breckenridge where my husband bought us another 4-Wheeler. This one has extremely well suspensions and is a 'touring' 4-Wheeler so the ride is exceptional smooth. This purchase is heaven send since we now have our freedom back for this coming summer. I already mentioned there is no way for us to travel at this point with Connor's Medical Schedule and I also want to steer clear from all the places that are going to be crowded with tourists. I love to hike but Connor is in no position to hike at this point and now that we have two 4-Wheelers we can travel our area to explore more of Colorado, we can go on day trips or 2 day trips and take the boys places they have not seen before or just go for a picnic somewhere. They both love riding on them and we are able to stay away from places that are overrun by people :) For a gypsy at heart like me this is very precious.

So as you see my week has been as good as I could have dreamed it to be. I feel like we are getting our spark back and everything is falling into place.

I also talked to someone at Memorial about Connor's continuing Therapies, OT, PT and ST and it looks like he will be evaluated end of July for OT, August for PT and ST. So I do not want to loose momentum on his progress but we are also happy to seem to get a bit of a break for him. He is happy about it and I just hope it won't set him back ....

The sad part for today was Ron leaving for the next 7 to 8 days but we are working on a meet up this weekend. We have not lost our sense for adventure even if it is more controlled :) The boys and I went for a Picnic in the National Forest today and were joined by Tasha and Apple who loved the exercise of running next to the 4-Wheeler.

I wished everyone's week was as good as ours but I have some very sad news as well. You will remember my post about Steven, the boy who had Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma? Melanie, my wonderful Twin Mom Friend from TX told me after I asked how he was doing that he lost his battle and has since passed away. One more child dying for no reason at all ... Gosh how it saddens me and frustrates me to no end at all that one more child was lost and one more family is suffering the worst pain imaginable. I never met the family and only heard about Steven from the post Melanie had on FB but I don't feel you need to know someone in order to send prayers and thoughts to this family. So as you know of now I am asking you to include them tonight and the coming weeks and months if possible.

Hugs,

R A C A




No comments:

Post a Comment