Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Catching Up ... Infusions and Exploring ...












Just because I am so far behind again in posting this blog entry might be shorter in an ironic way since you get 4 days of postings in one - haha

On Thursday Connor had his Solumedrol and Methrotrexate Infusion here at home and as could be expected there was a bit of a problem. Sharon and I were talking about how this might be our last In-Home Infusion if we are going to a once monthly cycle and of course there had to be something happening to it. Sharon set up to take a blood draw from the port when she realized that the kit that was send did not have the right needle to take the blood so she tried to use the ones we have to fill the Saline and Heparin flushes. Well, she was able to take about 3 or four vials and the line started to block up. She flushed it several times with Saline and Heparin and the strange part was the fact that at first the flushes went in really well but the blood did not come out well at all. She did hook up the Solumedrol and left with the vials of blood she was able to take and Sharon warned me that it might take longer for the Infusions to get in. I send an e-mail to Dr. Soep and left a message for her Nurse, Michelle, and within minutes I got a call from Dr. Soep who told me that the issue will be if I can not get the Saline flush in between the Solumedrol and the Methrotrexate, or if I can not flush the port after the Methrotrexate that we have to go to the ER again for a TPA flush.
Well, can you believe me that this was not something I was planning on doing that day? I am truly not a big fan of any ER even thought the one at Memorial Hospital has gotten my highest ratings so far :) Michelle also called back by then and gave me the same feedback so it was up to us to sit back and watch what happens.

I did get all the flushes in but with a challenge. It did not go in easy and took me about 1 minute to empty the syringe. The Solumedrol took 2 1/2 hours to go through Connor's Port instead of the usual 1 hour, and the Methrotrexate took about 2 hours instead of one.

Thursday also involved for us to completely remodel our Loft Office and School Room again. We put up bigger bookshelves and I had to reorganize the school room so I could set up all the new curriculum that came in the mail last week. I have to say I was in a bit of shock to realize how involved the curriculum was at first when it said to plan 5 hours of continuous work per day. Well, I am breathing easier when we had our first full day on Saturday and it took the boys and I 2 1/2 hours to do all the worksheets, watch the Videos and had our first reading assignment of making a sandwich... YES, you heard right! the boys had to make a sandwich on their own and then tell me what came in the beginning, middle and end. The end of our story was great depending from which view point you looked at it. It involved eating the sandwiches :) Connor and Alexander ate about half of there's and I ate none :) Remember we are talking about my boys who keep trying to talk me into baking a 'Pickle Cake' :)

Friday was a very precious day since all four of us went to the Farmers Market. How I love eating food that comes from farms located in our state. We had yummy peaches again, Corn and Tomatoes. Bred and Pastries from my favorite French Bakery and time with all three of the men in my life and I was one happy person.

As I mentioned earlier on Saturday we had our first 'full' day of school and it went wonderful. The boys were motivated and focused and I could not have been more pleased. So as a reward Ron and I took them for a drive to the Tarryall Reservoir for a picnic and some play time on the lake. It was all new for us and we were surprised to find a little beach and a great view of some people Diving from the Rock Formation into the lake. Connor of course was sprayed down very well with sunblock so we gave him some playtime in just the swim shorts. He handled it very well because we see no signs of him being affected by the sun at all.

Interestingly, Alexander has been battling a fever for the last three days and all Connor is having is a slight cold of runny nose and cough. Seems like Connor is skating by every little bug that comes his way and Alexander is the one that gets stuck with them all ....

Today, Sunday. we were very sad to see Ron leave again for another 4 day trip. So the boys and I are looking towards a very busy week of Therapy but which will have a happy ending by the arrivals of my Sister and her husband who will spend parts of their 3 week stay here in the US with us.

Please remember to Vote! I still have the link on my blog. Every Vote counts and we need to move from the 4th place to the 1st or second.

Thank you! and wishing you a relaxing Sunday afternoon.

Love,

R A C A

No comments:

Post a Comment