Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Ticket Rewards Chart :)

So here is one of my postings that is NOT JDM related but I want to share anyway. My precious friend Sonya told me about a Reward program they use with their girls and I loved the sound of it so much that I wanted to try it out myself. Now I started with it right away after our friends left for home but had to kind of make up the rules until Sonya was able to e-mail me the lineup they use.
So, I started by telling Connor and Alexander that they can earn tickets by doing chores and taking care of the things we expect them to do WITHOUT me or Ron having to remind them. So if they brush their teeth and floss they get 1 ticket, if they make their beds they get another ticket. If they do well in school another one, pick up toys on the end of the day one more, etc etc. However they can not earn more then 10 tickets a day. Now I did not have the whole Rewards Chart down so I just used the part about them being able to exchange 5 tickets for Chocolate or Candy or 10 Tickets for a DVD or Netflix Movie. Now since I started this I received Sonya's e-mail and I copied most of her Rewards Chart all the way up to the Grand Prize of 225 Tickets for a Play Station or Wii Game.
Now here comes the fun part. The last two days have been the most calm and organized days in a long time. The boys each brushed their teeth about four times a day and they cleaned up like never before. They even took my washed laundry of towels and folded them. I never had an idea our boys could be this motivated. Now I found out Connor is a bit more motivated then Alexander so he collected more tickets then his brother. They went and then handed me 6 tickets from Connor and 4 from Alexander, requesting a movie and since Connor  had more tickets he got to choose what show to watch. I was not sure how to approach the combining of tickets but went with it :)

So THANK YOU Herndon family for such a genius idea!

Hugs

R A C A

4 comments:

  1. We used rocks instead of tickets but same concept and it worked great when my Connor was that age!

    And for people who say "You shouldn't have to reward them" my answer is "Ummmm, you get a paycheck when you go to work, this is paying them for the "work" they do"

    :)

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do a similar thing with pretend $$ from the dollar store. Same concept. Awesome when you find a thing that works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Monica :) they love being acknowledged of doing a good job just as we Adults are. They know there will only be a ticket if they do their chores without being told. They are very motivated right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh we posted at the same time Alison :) great you are having great results as well :)

    ReplyDelete