Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Back to school (life), back to reality ....

Oh please, please, please grant me some sanity for the start up of school again.

Who would think that spending 4 hours in an Elementary Classroom would get me so mentally tired and exhausted. Working an all-nighter from Dallas to a Mexican Resort and back was way easier on my body then school is ;)

How can one balance a certain parenting approach with being faced by the complete opposite from other parents.
Ron and I take pride in the fact that the boys have dealt with their interactions towards each other without being snitches or tattle tales since about age 4.
So when I get told from a teacher that another parent complained to her that 'The Twins' have been chasing her son during recess I pretty much take an issue with this on several points.
For one, how can one chase someone else if that person stops running? If I don't want to be chased I stop. Ron of course looked at me and said 'Isn't running around a huge part of recess?'
Second, I am fed up hearing anyone, parents or fellow school kids accuse 'The Twins'. My boys are two identities and both have very different characters. Most of the time they are not even in the same area during recess or you won't see them next to each other during classes. On top of this they are not looking a like at all anymore. Connor is a good 1 1/2 inches shorter, has a rounder face and a shorter haircut. I do NOT dress them alike in school.
Now I am not taking an issue about anyone calling the boys 'The Twins' when it comes to having a conversations about our kids, just don't accuse one of them and not even know who you are accusing so you take the safe road and just say 'One of the Twins'. Of course as they say some ethnic groups all look the 'same' so I guess twins fall into the same category..... sarcasm here...

So what is wrong with teaching your kids to stand up for themselves? I taught mine and I am NOT telling them to back down because your kids or you as the parent prefer to run to the teacher to complain. I guess it is safer because it is always great to hide behind someones back. Not something I learned and not something I ever want my son's to do.

There is also an interesting feel I have about all this. If there is a complain it seems to come from the shadows and not from a parent that I see involved in school. Maybe if that parent would spend some time in the classroom and observe they would see that none of the kids are little Angels (with the exception of a few) and that yours might very well be one of the instigator! Now wouldn't this be eyeopening?

Everyone that knows me should realize if I see my boys mess up or act in a way that could be hurtful to someone else I will step in and correct their behavior. I am not the parent who says her kids are perfect but I also know that some complains come from kids who have been pushing every possible button on my boys and I am not going to teach my boys to take it.

I am in the back of the classroom watching each Tuesday and Wednesday and many times I see behavior from kids that I find unacceptable BUT it is not my place to say anything nor will I, unless that behavior is pointed towards my son's.

So again, please give me the sanity to keep my mouth shut at school and making sure my boys will be armed with using their words and using their brain, after all the biggest weapon man kind has :)

Good Night,

R A C A

No comments:

Post a Comment