Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!

I have to say I know about two versions about the Legend of Valentine and here is the one that I love the best and therefor believe it should be the true one - haha:)

Legend has it that Valentine was a priest who served during third century Rome. There was an Emperor at that time by the name of Claudius II. Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those that were married. With this thought in mind he outlawed marriage for young men in hopes of building a stronger military base. Supposedly, Valentine, decided this decree just wasn't fair and chose to marry young couples secretly. When Emperor Claudius II found out about Valentine's actions he had him put to death.



You can probably guess why I like this legend the most. For one I love anyone that stands up for love and second, anyone that is brave enough to stick up for their believe and take a stand has of course my admiration :)

It truly was a lovely day all around, first at home with a long breakfast and the exchange of cards but also at school. Mrs. Struble put together a most lovely day and Valentine Party for the kids and I felt so much support from talking to several other Mom's. It truly almost made me cry when I got hugs and so many words of wisdom. Thank You!!! 
I try not to add names to my blog unless I get the permission but one Mom told me today her and her husband have been reading the blog (yes, for some wicked reason my heart always drops when I hear this because then I worry how much ranting and raving I have done in the past - haha) 
Her words meant so much to me as I know just a little bit about the challenges and battles they have faced as a family due to Cancer, but mostly because she is always so calm and composed, kind and sweet and I so wish some of this could rub off on me :)



I actually have found some peace lately by distracting my mind with mindless TV during bedtime. Thanks to Netflix I am inhaling the Show 'Rescue Me' and in just less then a week I am getting close to finishing Season 2. Now this Show is at times very dark but also has so much strange humor to it that I find myself laughing out loud several times during just one show.
Now on my show the main character started taking Selectra SL, an antidepressant drug, and it turned him into this calm and happy person. So the next morning I told my husband that this might be what I need and he looked at me and said that might be a good idea! So maybe I should talk to my Doctor and after two years of being in battle mode I might have to drug myself to survive this Election Year. Especially after just hearing the news that Santorum is in the lead ;)


Back to this Valentines Day, Connor and Alexander have claimed this to be there favorite Holiday after Christmas. 
Once again they had me laughing on the drive home when they were both talking to each other in the back of the car and I overheard the word 'boy-girl'. I asked them what this word means and Alexander said that when they get married they want to marry a 'boy-girl'. I asked what a 'boy-girl' was and they both said it is a girl that loves to play like a boy and likes sports. I said 'Oh, you mean a Tomboy, and they said "'NO' - we don't want to marry a boy!" 
Oh my, I really love age 7 and I can only imagine how much fun age 8 will be like :)

So hope you all had a lovely day!

Hugs,

R A C A

P.S. Thank You so much for all the lovely Valentine's cards that came in the mail. I loved the one about 'The Queen has arrived' especially. :):):)



No comments:

Post a Comment