Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Oh where to start .....


So much to write about and for some strange reason I hardly feel the energy to do this but since you know me you will find I will have a hard time stopping once I start to write ... so

.... I owe it to my dumplings to brag about their huge success at our latest Ski and Snowboarding outing this past Monday. Ron and I wanted to see how a family outing to Monarch would play out and according to the boys and I it was one of the best days we ever spend together as a family playing together.
Ron was truly taken, seeing how well the boys did on their snowboards and after a few warmups on the Snowball Run with the Caterpillar lift we all headed over to the first lift. This part went well at the bottom but not very well at the top. All four of us fell off the lift due to the attendance not watching the lift and not slowing it down. The boys are still to short to get a fast jump off and by Ron and I trying to help them off but also being on skis was not the best combination. Ron went to talk to the attendant afterwards and it was interesting to find out he was smoking weed while on the job. We had one more hiccup on another lift but after that it went smoothly for Ron and the boys, thanks to Ron getting the Manager involved and him being very courteous and attentive to the problem. I admit I did not feel comfortable enough to take the boys up again but got a few runs in by myself and Ron even got some skiing in on the Black Diamonds.
However, the amazing part of this day is that we skied and snowboarder for 6 Hours!!! And the boys raced down the green hills and finished with a blue in the end. They got better the longer the day went on instead of tiring and Ron was confident in their ability that he took them one at a time on the Blue. We felt so proud and I love seeing that they have a gift for this as a true Colorado Native should :):):)
Now this was our highlight for the beginning of this week but here were our worries. 
On Monday our Niece Tammy went in for a serious Back Surgery. The surgery went well but she is still in the hospital recovering and might have to stay longer then planned.
On Monday my nephew Sebastian also went in for surgery on his knee. The surgeon took out a Tennis Ball sized knot and as of now he is also recovering well.
On Monday a very dear friend went into surgery as well. Monica is also recovering well and was released from the hospital last night.
On Tuesday I found out that another two of my nephews were brutally assaulted and both are recovering from numerous injuries.
We also found out that my Dad is still battling health issues that are scary and my brother is also due for a checkup for his foot.
There was a highlight on Tuesday afternoon and that came in the form of a phone call. I had a friend during my years in TX who was more like a sister then a friend. It was sad that five years ago life threw us a curve ball that had us loose touch. Thanks to Facebook we reconnected again and finally talked on the phone and hear each others voice again. I am very grateful to this as it was a missing part to my life.
Last night I sat down to do my part about filing taxes and that includes anything medical for our family and of course Connors medicals, treatments, millages, travel expenses etc etc.
Now before I write more there will never every be a price tag on my dumplings medical treatments and I said it in the beginning of this blog, and I say it now, that we gladly give all we have in order to save our boys life. I also know that there will never be enough money in this world to replace one of my babies.
All this however does not change the fact that I still get sad and a bit sick to my stomach when I sit down each year for the past two and look at the mountain of money we had to come up with to get Connor the treatments he needs and deserves and also still trying to give the boys the most 'normal' life and expectancies that other children have and take for granted. We never had any help when it came to paying medical bills or getting any donations. We know it is our family, and our responsibility to take care of our kids! The part that gets to me and makes me want to cry is the knowledge that not only is my son penalized with a disease that has no cure and had him in horrid pain in the past, on top of that he and his brother are robbed of the opportunity so many families around us do take for granted. The amount of money we use to pay medical related bills are huge even with Insurance. So yes we would take the same steps again and we do not regret any choices we made in regards to Connors care but does this mean I can not be sad and heat broken at the cost that comes with it???

I am ending with some pictures of the happy memories we made on Monday :)






Hugs,

R A C A



3 comments:

  1. Anke, you have every right to be sad to look at the $. We love our children but sometimes the numbers are rough. I used to sit stunnded when my Connor was little and between daycare and medical 1/2 my after tax was gone. But I console myself when I am old and feeble I plan to be a pain in his butte to makeup for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Youbso much for this note Monica! I so love the feedback and words of wisdom from friends who have the experience and Wisdom! Hugs and you know I will be a pain in the butte to therm at old age and I think I already are - haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. The material things are just stuff. I remember looking to the light at the end of the tunnel. I Have been in and out of the tunnel so many times since then that I realize now the light at the end is heaven. Sooo, go slow enjoy and make the best of what you have. with a little creativity you can take junk and turn it into heirlooms. So who needs stuff.

    ReplyDelete