Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Catching up at School and another Surprise Trip :)

This past week went super fast and was a whirl pool of excitements :)

We were able to catch up on school and finish the Winter Semester for 2nd Grade, Connor got his last (for now - fingers crossed) Solumedrol and Methrotrexate Infusion on Friday! The day before he had his Water Therapy and the only hiccup during this week is the fact that Connor is complaining more and more about back pains and I have not been able to get in touch with Connor's Doctors about this yet. It seems that according to the JM Group, some of the kids had confirmed fractures in the Spine shown through an X-Ray while majority of the kids only got true confirmation due to an MRI.
I do not like having this hang over my head with the approaching trip to Germany hanging in the air....
I am also hitting a road block with making progress to get Connor some braces for his feet. It seems the Therapy Place is dropping the ball by not finding the prescription that Dr. Maynard had signed and now faxed to them already twice, This is frustrating as we are dealing with this now for 5 weeks :(

On a good note, the boys and I got to travel again this past weekend by organizing a surprise Birthday visit/party to my husband who was spending 8 days on call in DFW. Ron's best friend Len and I were talking via phone or txt messages and we were able to pull of a complete surprise when we knocked on the Hotel Room at the Park Inn in Irving, TX. The hardest challenge was telling my husband we would be off the phone and unable to talk due to Therapy when indeed we were on a plane and therefor unreachable ;)
After we arrived on Friday afternoon we all went out to Dinner with the Root and Lichte Family. It was fun to see everyone and spend some relaxing time together. I tried to tell Larisa to please have her Baby (due Date Oct 11) this weekend so I could be there and what happens? She gave Birth to a precious Baby Girl, Evie, last night! The original plan was for the boys and I to fly back again on Saturday Morning as Ron had to fly to San Juan for a two day trip but we changed course again when Ron talked us into staying in DFW and then heading home with him on Monday. So after Ron left for his flight, the boys and I had an amazingly fun but goodness COLD day at Six Flags over Texas with Auntie Pam. Not even the cold could stop the four of us from having lots of fun and so much laughter!!! End this Day with a nice BBQ Dinner and a Drink and it was labeled by all of us a huge success :)
On Sunday the boys and I were thrilled to spend more time with Pam as we headed to the Grapevine Mills Mall and then finishing the day with a yummy and very enjoyable dinner with Pam, her daughter Kim, husband Andy and of course Ron who had gotten back from his trip. Gosh was it wonderful holding Kim and Andy's Baby girl Kora. Just eight weeks old and cute as a button :) 

The next day we headed home and now we are trying to get back into the swing of things :)

The hardest part of heading to Texas is the amount of friends we have there and trying to divide time between all of them on each separate trip. With Ron on Reserve we will have more of these trips in the future so hoping to see all of you that we did not see on this trip :)

I admit I know why I love going places and being a gypsy at heart .... it is in a way a form of running away from everything because for those few days I am gone I can almost forget all the worries that follow me around when being at home. It is sad for me to realize that in a way home is not always a sanctuary for me and not having much control over anything that really weighs on my heart is a tough mind set for me to follow.

So I am making a conscious try to stay and remove myself from things I can't control and save my energy to work on the parts were I might actually be able to make a change in. Not an easy task for this one ;)

Thank You to the loving support for CureJM to the Makarewicz Family! The Logsdon Family! The Murphy Family! and The Bertelsen Family! Such generous hearts and Connor is now in overdrive working on his Thank You's :). I know this is the latest Fundraiser and so many of you reading this have already given so much! So Thank You as always and we do carry your support so close in our hearts!





















Hugs,

R A C A


No comments:

Post a Comment