Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Day 18 at Home ... A day with NO schedule :)



Okay I am not trying to jinx our luck by posting how many days we are Home but I thought I will count to 51 days as this was the number we all had the pleasure to stay in a hospital ...

Today is a great day here as it seems to be back to as 'normal' as it can be. No infusions today and No therapy. Yes, Connor still has his big line-up of medications but this is almost getting second nature. He is making improvements in Therapy as well and it really is interesting to notice that the area that he lost movements first is the one that takes the longest to come back. For him that means his legs and feet. He is still at 'fall risk' so we have to walk with him and hold him but he is now attempting to do one step up on the stairs that leads from the living room to the hallway. He uses his upper body strength that is coming back to pull himself up on the railing. Really wonderful to watch if you have seen how little movements and strength he used to have.

I forgot now if I posted already that our check up in Chicago was moved now to April 21st? Connor and I will leave on the 20th and return on the 22nd. It will be a quick trip this time since my parents will stay home with Alexander but the biggest news is that Niki will fly down from Anchorage with Harlow Olivia to stay with us for five days! I am planning a trip to Babies R Us and wonder if all the memories come back when I used to shop for Connor & Alexander. When did we move from Winnie the Pooh and ELMO to Star Wars and Indiana Jones???

So when I got my Wii on Christmas 2009 I was promoting it left and right because I was so in love with it and I thought Nintendo could have paid me for talking so many of you into getting one - ha ha, and now I am in addition a big fan of Sony's PS3. How much fun can a grown-up have playing Star Wars Lego? and the graphics are just wonderful! I am stuck to it each night after the boys go to bed and it is addicting. Well I am always in love with technology so it might not be a big surprise to my immediate family ...
However, the reason I mention it is not to bore you BUT if you have more then one child and you are open to video games then all the LEGO ones are wonderful. For one there is no violence other then LEGO pieces falling apart but most of all it teaches them to play together. You are always a team and never an opponent. You have to make sure you stay in pace with your partner and defeat the enemy together.
For Connor it is still great therapy as well, as we firmly believe it was coloring and playing PS3 and X-Box in the Hospital that got him his finger movements and fine motor skills back. Still shocking to me how fast we changed our parenting techniques when all of a sudden you see the benefits of something that we thought was a negative before. Do you know that the majority of Brain Surgeons are Gamers? and that they spend their lunch hours playing video games?

I mentioned last week about Connor's mind being so much sharper then it used to be and just today he went to play a Memory Game he had played three months ago on the computer for his reading lessons and when he logged in today he had memorized it and opened 30 cards never missing a pair! CRAZY!

Alexander also had a good day at school and he was a lot more focused then last week. I hope this means we are moving back into a normal routine and that everything will calm down even more.

Tomorrow Connor will have all three Therapies again, PT, OT and ST and then on Thursday we are heading to Denver for a full day of infusions. He will start with Solumedrol, Methrotrexate and finish with eight hours of IVIG.

I hope you all had a wonderful and peaceful Easter Weekend and if you have followed my messages about Henry then please know that he is back home with his family and that he is recovering. It is not sure if he is ready to get his next Chemo treatment just yet but we are so so so happy for them. Nothing makes my day more then getting great news from people we care so much about.

I also attached a picture of the Morgan's who are truly a part of our family. My Mom, Connor and I went to see them this last Saturday to bring a Easter Basket and when we arrived, there was this beautiful Birthday Banner and most delicious Chocolate Birthday Cake waiting for us. To feel this much love is really hard to put into words!

Hugs,

R (Ron) A (Anke) C (Connor) A (Alexander) ... R A C A :)




No comments:

Post a Comment