Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

One week I rather skip but as aways life goes on :)





Hello to all my precious family and friends!

I have to tell you that this last weekend was pure heaven for me and that for the first time in so long I was almost able to forget that Connor was sick. We had a fun and also relaxing time at home as a family of eight and even ten at one point, Oma, Opa, Niki, Harlow, Sam, RW, Connor, Alexander, Ron and I. We even got a wonderful visit from Shelly, Clare and Alexander. Connor was mostly quiet throughout all of it but he was very charmed by Harlow and he was very sweet to her throughout the 5 days. Do most of you remember the countdown we had when Niki went into labor with Harlow while we were holed up at CMH in Chicago. Now Harlow is already 10 1/2 weeks old!!!!! crazy how fast time flies!!!

Connor did have some issues with his port and I talked to Dr. Soep's Nurse Michelle about it and we will keep an eye on it and if he keeps getting low grade fevers as well then they will order a blood culture to see if he might be fighting an infection. He will have his infusions again tomorrow morning so I am hoping that the access to his port will be pain free this time around. We also have a new schedule for Connor's next IVIG which is planned for May 6 at 8:30 AM, he will also have a Dermatology Appointment while he gets his infusions that day to have a look at the multiplying warts on his foot. Remember he started out with one when he first showed symptoms of JDM? well I am as of now counting eleven! Dr. Soep also put an order in for 6 more months of IVIG, so we are booked until October :)

So and then the sad part that I am facing this week is Niki and Harlow leaving yesterday and on Friday we have to say Goodbye to my Mom and Dad. As always this will break my heart and I so hope that we convinced them all enough to try and come back here in June or July.

Today, my Mom and Dad had a wonderful one hour massage at the 'A Rub Above' that included time in the whirlpool as well and I got treated to watch AVATAR while waiting for them :) Ron also took Connor to see the Psychiatrist today and I guess it went well but Ron told me that Connor acted bored throughout most of his one hour session. Ron however did get a report from the Doctor about his assessment for Alexander last week. Remember how I wrote that he told us Alexander was a VERY active child? Well he told Ron today that Alexander matched 7 out of 9 markers for BOTH ADD & ADHD. He however also said that this is not a bad match up because when you can get some control over it then most children with this are extremely bright. Well that alone is not a big surprise to me because as you might know my boys are of course very smart and bright :) I will now go in next week and talk to the doctor to see what our next step will be.

Before I finish my blog for tonight I do have to say that I am not happy in regards to Connor's Speech Therapy. When we stayed at TCH in Denver, of all three therapies, Speech was his favorite at times because he did not have to move and they played games with him while he had to sound out words. Since we got home the one therapy he truly dislikes the most is Speech. I do believe it has to do with a personality clash. The Therapist that comes to our home is more pushy and also critical. Today I came home right when she was leaving and what I found was a son that was in tears and feeling miserable. He said she thought he did not do his home work (which is NOT true) and then she wanted him to say 'Ladder' and 'Truck' and he was told that he was unable to say them right. I listen to him say 'Ladder' and it sounded fine, now 'Truck' did not, so I know he needs help but why be so critical to him instead of trying to turn it into a game? Needless to say, he does not want to have Speech Therapy anymore and Ron told me he will make a call tomorrow to see if we can get someone else.

I am feeling extremely tired today. I told Ron I think finally my body might be catching up with my brain. It's almost as if this fight we entered is finally getting to me and some of my spark is leaving. Maybe I am not angry enough anymore for me to go off on little tantrums on my blog - Ha Ha

Oh, and I almost forgot! This last Saturday was Ron and mine eleven year Wedding Anniversary. I can only say that I am so blessed to have married my best friend! I always write about our journey with JDM but my goodness what a journey Ron and I had until now ..... eleven years that never for a minute could be considered boring :)

Love,

R A C A

1 comment:

  1. Bless his heart, I'm sure y'all can find a new speech therapist that will work better with him. And finally, I can't believe you've kept your stamina this long. Six days in the hospital and I was so drained, I can't imagine all the time you were there. It sounds like he is doing so much better and I rejoice with you in that!!!

    ReplyDelete