Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Saturday, January 29, 2011

BabyShower + Girl Time = FUN and Therapy ;)

Can you actually believe that the boys and I got up at 6 am on a Saturday? Shocking I know! Well, I received an e-mail earlier this week about a liquidation sale from a Lutheran School that closed a couple of years ago and I always wanted two old fashioned school desk's for the boys. So off we went and I am happy to say I got two tables for $5 each and the boys each got a Basketball (Mr. Spalding) for $1 each :) There also was this most beautiful huge solid wood office desk that I would have liked to take home if the problem would not have been about fitting it into the Excursion (it looked like you needed a small Moving Truck), plus it also truly not fitting into our House either - haha
While my Dumplings were at first not to happy about the early wake-up call, they were smiling when they got their Basketballs and a McDonald Pancake Breakfast.

Have I mentioned on my Blog yet that I started to log my food intake on MyFitnessPal.com? Well, I started a week ago and I have to say that I am thinking Saturdays and Sundays should not be counted! Do you know that one McDonald's Breakfast can almost cover half of your daily allowance? add to this a Mimosa, which entered my Diet later that afternoon at a amazing 203 calories for one, you can guess how well my total count went for the day :)

Today is actually a happy blog entry (and no this is not purely due because of the above mentioned Mimosa - just kidding!:) but due to a wonderful afternoon with friends. Today the boys and I went to a Baby Shower for my beautiful friend Vicki, and the afternoon was just magical for the boys and I. Jamie, who was hosting the Shower had the most wonderful setup for us Mom's but also for the kids that came along. I know my two boys thought they hit the jackpot when they came in and saw all the Nintendo and Wii Games! and they even got to finish up the afternoon with a Pillow Fight ... a dream for my boys ;)
As to the actual Shower, what can be more precious then friends who are fun, sincere and truly beautiful inside and out? add to this Mimosas (yes, there also was a alcohol free Punch), yummy, yummy foods and you have a wonderful combination. I am so happy for Vicki who will have another beautiful Baby Girl come March/April. If she was to arrive on her Due Date then she would be one day before our boys are turning 7.

Now here is a little tepid from my son's today while we were driving in the car this morning:
Connor: 'Mommy, can you please have a Baby?'
Me: 'Well, no since I love spending all my time with my two favorite boys'
Alexander: 'That's great Mommy, because I don't want you to get hurt when the Baby would come out'. Also, what if you had a Girl? that would not be so good'
Me: 'Why would you say that Alexander? Girls are a lot of fun!'
Alexander: 'No, not really, because they always think they are or want to be in charge'......
Oh well, I leave it at that. I guess he will find out later in live that there is a reason for that - haha

As to JDM news, I got a phone call last night at 9 pm and when I picked up it turned out to be a fax from Memorial Hospital. I received three pages with the Blood Work and Blood Culture Results from last weeks ER visit. This is great since I was now able to scan them in and forward them to Connor's Rheumatologists. I was surprised that someone was working in the Medical Records Office at 9 pm but I am NOT complaining :)

I hope you are all having a good weekend! The boys and I are looking forward to tomorrow when Ron will come home again :)

Hugs,

R A C A

No comments:

Post a Comment