Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wishing all of you precious Friends and Family a wonderful Thanksgiving!

So this year I am definitely not tempted at all to join the shopping frenzy that started today and lasts until the 24th of December. I could skip all the Christmas Shopping at this point and I am readjusting my thinking all around. I have no cravings or needs at all and we already got the gifts for the boys.

Yesterday Ron watched our boys and Alexander while I helped Clare to load up the U-Haul she rented and close up the house. It was a heartbreaking time to work side by side and then see the house all empty and knowing this will be my last time there. The whole process took longer then we thought and instead of heading towards Lake Tahoe yesterday we were lucky to see that Clare decided to spend the night with us and then head out this morning. The boys were in heaven having a sleep-over and Ron and I got the precious treat of having some time with Clare before she would leave Colorado for good. I wish I could put into words what it felt like seeing them leave this morning but all I can say is that it was a very sad, sad feeling. I moved so many times and had to say Goodbye to so many dear friends and family over the years but it seems to get harder the older I get.

Today has been a nice and quiet a day for us relaxing and playing some Basketball and Football with our dumplings. Ron and Alexander also enjoyed watching Football and Connor and I got to watch a movie and then work in the kitchen. I love that my husband is in charge of the Turkey, which was smoked this year and turned out wonderful.

The only hiccup I had today was watching the news. I am loosing my nice streak at times but I find it very ironic to listen to how bad our Economy is and how high the unemployment rate is but then watch the frantic shopping spree happening right now and continuing on tomorrow. I did not realize that big screen TVs, Computers and Game Station qualify as a need and necessity. Oh, and all these poor and starving families who are receiving free food, none of them looked like they were starving to me. Yes, I am getting my hands slapped for saying this one!!!! - all while our obesity rates are going up! I identify starving with different pictures but not what they showed me today. Then there was this family who said how very grateful they were to receive all this free food while right behind them on the wall in their home was a huge big screen TV hanging! and how about the iPhone in your hand??? maybe you don't have money for food because you are paying close to $200 a month for your cell phone service! oh well, it is all about priorities. Am I the only one that thinks this is all a sham? When the news are showing me empty stores and people laying on the street starving as they are in other countries then you can ask me again to show sympathy and change my attitude. All this worries me!

Oh, I also almost called off sending Christmas Cards this year as well but after some thought and talking to Ron I did select to send out a few. I guess I am not turning into a complete Grinch ;)








Hugs,

R A C A


1 comment:

  1. Hi Smiths:
    Just a quick hi from "over the hill". We can relate to seeing good friends move away as we have seen one after another pack up and move on. Heartbreaking. We sure hope everything else is going well. Hope Ron is recovering, Connor is tolerating the med reduction, etc, etc. Wishing you all the best.
    The Stenzel's

    ReplyDelete