Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Thursday, September 20, 2012

School, a new Therapy for Connor and the CureJM Chase Community Voting

This is not some well used phrase I am throwing out but with all my heart I wish there were more hours to the day...

I feel really stretched thin in getting everything that needs to get done, done.
Of course I have a priority system in place and that is balancing the two biggest factors together: The boys schooling and the boys Medical needs. Both of them would keep me busy enough on it's own each week but together they make for long, long days and also cause huge exhaustion's at times for all of us.
We can not slack of in school or miss hours or we again fall behind after we made this huge effort to catch up schooling through the summer. The medical needs for both my dumplings are of course nonnegotiable and we can not in any way or form adjust this. 
Those two things alone pretty much take on all my energy and to then place all the other needs and demands into my life make me feel tired and often unfocused.
I wish I could lay on someones couch and talk about my worries and fears and the stress I am feeling but even that hour would seem as a complete waste as I need that hour to get things done so I probably would even drive the Therapist crazy! AND add more stress to my life. Oh, and I do NOT have time for that!

On this note:
Connor had his first Session today with Dr. Dona Sanders in CSprings and I think we got a perfect match. She seems like a most wonderful person who understood Connor to a T. It actually seemed funny when she told us half way through the session that she thinks her and Connor have a lot in common in regards to being worriers and having a hard time letting things go. 
His first Homework is to try and stop worrying about things he has no control over (now in my eyes that is easier said then done but since I am trying to practice this now for a while myself I might be able to help him out a bit or mess him up more ;).
His second assignment might be on the surface easier but for Connor might be equally as hard ... No more TV or reading material that causes worries. So no more News Shows and Newspapers and no more Animal Shows on the Animal Planet or Discovery Chanel as she knows how upsetting even those images can be (Well, she got this right as Connor does cry when we watch Planet Earth). She said she has the same rules for herself and stopped feeling guilty about not being up to date on the news as they were to much negative influence to her life as well).
So we will have to stop watching the news together as a Family for now and I just have to catch up on it when the boys are in bed.

Who ever said you should just stay away from scary or emotional movies when real life shows are part of the stress? Wonder how I can turn off the stress JDM and AA is causing me along with other stress factors?

So we will be back in two weeks to see her again, and Connor said he likes her very much and looks forward to it.
She also made Connor so happy when she said that he made her day and how much enjoyment she got from talking to such a bright and educated little boy that had the best manners she had seen in a long time.
Looks like a love match for me!

We are back in school now and this week has been really tough to stay focused on all the positive as I am just tired, -mind and body-.
So all those times my husband asks me if I want to trade jobs? .... YES ... IN A HEART BEAT RIGHT NOW ....
 
NO that does not mean I don't love what I do but the work load on top of all that entails taking care of a family and a house feels crushing at times.

Oh, and Connor still wants to stop Cottage School but he did have some very good days this week. Both boys loved Science, especially when all the little ones were able to run around the school trying to catch bugs. The Health Screening also went very well with both boys passing everything, except Connor who had Depth Perception problems. I found that ironic as Alexander passed this test in flying colors this year while he was the one that failed it last year!!!

Oh and here is a conversation Connor and I had last night:
Connor after I put him to bed:
Mommy, is today the last day to Vote?
Me: Yes
C: did you tell everyone to vote?
Me: Yes
C: what if not everyone voted?
Me: that be sad but you can't force people. Why? Would you be very upset at them?
C: No, I still love them but it is sad because CureJM needs to win so there is money for Research! Will you find out tomorrow if we won?
Me: Yes, but I know we won already because we got so high up in tne standings, competing against 7000 Organizations and we are fighting against an Orphan Disease. So don't worry and sleep tight. Mom has it all covered!!!

Thank You to all of you that listened to me for the last couple of weeks. You truly are Connors Angels!!!

And now to the Drum Roll:::::
As of now we finished the Chase Voting and if it holds we are in the 20th spot. That would mean CureJM could receive $50,000 in Research money!!!!! That is amazing. We pulled in over 8000 Votes and for an Orphan Disease this is very good. You have to remember there are only 17,000 cases of JM/JDM and not everyone has computer access. So for those of you that voted, be proud of yourself for helping Connor, his fellow fighters and CureJM to get another shot at finding a Cure. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!








Hugs,

R A C A

No comments:

Post a Comment