Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Daily Life












First Day of Autumn here in Lake George, CO and it made an entrance in style. It has been cool all day followed by rain and fog in the afternoon which prompted me to start my first Fire in the Fireplace since this Spring :)

The boys also did well in school today so I thought as a reward they could bake a cake from scratch and we labeled it for Science Class :). I have to say I am so much better now at letting go and not worry so much about a messy kitchen because the pay off is the best of all, two smiley and messy looking boys :)

Yesterday was Therapy again for Connor and once again he started with OT, followed by Speech which went very well and finishing with PT. By the time PT came around he was tired so he did not participate very well plus his feet measured once again at -7 and -8.
One of the things we have been watching again lately is Connor being tired and depressed and we figured it could be due to the long periods now between his Solumedrol Infusions or as simple as him not getting enough sleep again. If you recall on our last trip to Denver for the IVIG and Solumedrol Infusion, Dr. Soep told us to try and give him sleeping pills for about 5 days and see if his mood lifts. The problem we all agreed on was the fact that it could be sleep that is missing or if it was due to the Solumedrol then his mood will lift as well since he was just getting an infusion.
Yesterday I talked to Kim for a while and she reminded me and asked if Connor is still on his sleep aid and I said 'no' so as of last night I started it up again :) I am not sure how fast it can work but today was already a better day.

Now there is one more thought that could be the culprit and that is the fact that for the last week our boys have been taking turns of sleeping in each others bed. Alexander is such a wiggle worm that whoever shares a bed with him is guaranteed to not get enough sleep. I tell you that I make the boys take turns when they come in our bed because I can handle Alexander for one night of being kicked but not two in a row - haha
I am getting off the JDM track again but this whole incident about the boys laying in each others beds is very funny to us as a family. When we got the boys I could have sworn to you that they did not know each other and that they did not like each other. For one, every-time I put them in their crib with each other they screamed and kicked each other until I got one of the boys back out and layed him in the second crib :) They were always very jealous of each other and if I would sit on the floor and hold one of them then the other would come crawling at lightning speed and try to squeeze on my lap while pushing off their brother. I did not realize that my knees went bad and my back was always hurting until our doctor pointed out that I was always carrying both at the same time, one on each hip, just so they would not scream.
So you see it is almost breathtaking for Ron and I to see them at age six cuddling up to each other in their beds. However this is where the part of Connor not getting good sleep might kick in :)

Yesterday the boys also had their School Pictures taken and it was a real touching moment. Connor got a new haircut three days ago and he told me in no uncertain terms that he wants his hair longer on top and short on the sides and in the back. He then combs it to his side and looks pretty cute. Alexander went back to having his hair all short and in his words 'cool' :) They each picked out a background for their pictures which are not the same and they were wearing very different colored shirts. I can say that I am much more at peace with the different look Connor and Alexander have and I look forward to seeing the pictures. It was truly ironic when today I was told that our boys so look alike when I had not heard this in about seven months and when I absolutely don't see them as alike at all anymore.

I am also very thankful once again for the amazing friends that we have in our life. On Monday we had a full day of fun at our home with the Olson Family. The chemistry between us all is wonderful and their two kids and our boys play so well together. Jennie's husband Matt is going to deploy in October for 12 months, possible 15 months. He is an Officer in the Army and this will be his second tour to Iraq. I can not imagine what it will feel like for Jennie and her two small boys to not have him home for such a long time.
I am also grateful, as always, to my friend Kim for always knowing what to say and actually always call when I can really appreciate her advice.
I know at this time I could name so many of our friends who make an impact all the time and please know I am only pointing out Jennie and Kim right now because this just happened in the last three days.
One thing this JDM Journey has taught me is to never take friends for granted again and I can only hope to live up and stand up to being the same kind of friend.

I am off now to see what can whip up for Dinner since it seems that I don't plan as well when Ron is out of town. Ron is in Dallas for training and with any luck this will be his last one before he retires!!!!
We miss him and the three of us here at home can not wait for October when we should have lots of family time in Miami and then the Cruise. I am getting so excited and reading my way through all the information there is that I can probably board the ship blind and still find my way around :)

Hugs,

R A C A


No comments:

Post a Comment