Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Still here and trying to catch up :)











So I know I was gone for a long time and I can promise you it was not because there were no news but because we were very busy :)

The best news of all is that last night at midnight ET the Voting for the Pepsi Refresh Grant ended and CureJM was in 1st place and won a $250,000.00 Grant for Research!!!
This was amazing in so many ways because as you know JDM is not very well known and the only ones that truly understand what this disease means are those Children affected by it, their families and friends. So all of the Voting was done by word or mouth and asking friends through e-mail and Facebook to Vote. It was so breathtaking how much power a relative small group of people have when you consider we were competing against much more well known causes.
I do want to add that there were very worthy causes we were competing against and I so wish we could all have walked away with a win. When it comes to saving children's life's there should not be a competition but only compassion. No child should ever die for any reason!
I saw a post today on Facebook from Hope's Mom and here are some facts on what the Grants are that are given out to help research in certain fields:

According to a September 12, 2008 article by Helen Jonsen, Forbes.com
senior editor, the funding for pediatric cancer clinical trials has gone
down every year since 2003, and is currently $26.4 million. By
comparison, NCI funding for AIDS research was $254 million in 2006;
funding for breast cancer topped $584 million
the same year.


Now I know this is from 2008 and it involves cancer BUT still is it not shocking to you that the research money for pediatric cancer is so small compared to Aids or Breastcancer? I am NOT saying they don't matter but in my opinion where is here any comparison???
CureJM of course can only dream of getting any six figure grants but that is beside the point. I tell you that if I had the choice I would gladly trade my life for that of my children. I say gladly because I feel that I at my age had a shot at life. Would I rather live? YES! but not if it meant me instead of my children.
So as you see I am coming back to my blog very confrontational but I am tired at times that children truly have no voice when it comes to how money is handled for Research. What Pepsi is doing is wonderful but truly there should be no competing for money!

On another note, we got through another Methrotrexate Injection last Thursday, Connor got great feedback from all three Therapist, PT, OT and Speech. He is sore from PT and is telling us today that his legs are hurting. He got a new Therapist if you remember and we think she is very nice but I am wondering if she is pushing to hard?
Tomorrow we are heading back to TCH for Connor's IVIG and we are hoping for some great blood work so that we can stay on a once a month schedule!

My sister and her husband are touring some National Parks right now and we had a very fun week with them before they headed out. We got to see the Great National Sand Dunes again, plus a most magical stay at the Movie Manor which is a Motel build around a Drive-In Movie Theater. The show 2 movies each night and you can watch it right from your room laying on your bed. Each room has a speaker system and the boys plus as Adults LOVED it.
We then got to see Bishops Castle again plus the Royal Gorge. It was a very relaxing and fun two day trip for all of us.

THANK YOU to all of you that Voted so consistently all month and the huge support we got last night was just breathtaking!!!

Hope you have a good week!

Hugs,

R A C A

No comments:

Post a Comment