Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Therapies # ????

Today was Therapy Day again for Connor and my goodness does it get harder and harder to get up at 5:30 AM to make the first Therapy of OT at 8:15 AM.

Amazingly both my dumplings did very well this morning and both were even singing in the car. It helps I guess if they can look forward to some of their favorite junk food for breakfast. Sonics Drive Thru for French Toast Sticks with a Chocolate Milk Shake for Alexander and Connor gets the Ham, Egg and Cheese Burrito with a Banana and Strawberry Smoothie. How fast this became a tradition is pretty sad :)
I am wondering how much they will miss it when Connor does not need Therapy anymore!

Well, OT went fairly well until Connor cut of a piece of his thumb in a door lock. No idea how it happened but all I saw was a crying Connor with blood everywhere when the Therapist brought him back to the waiting room. Good thing that it was towards the end of his session and the next one was Speech which he loves. He took about 5 minutes to calm down and off he went again.
Speech went very well and it was wonderful to hear how he is making progress. The irony now is that Alexanders Speech seems almost worse then Connor's.
PT, now this is Connor's least favorite and also the hardest because his legs are still causing the most problems.
Now Connor did not wear his boots much last week and I kept telling him if he is not wearing them then they might start taping him and he does not want this at all. So I told her that Connor has not been very cooperative and she sat him down and gave him a good talking to as well so now he has to wear them 6 nights a week with Sunday night for a break and if he does not wear them then NO TV. Are we harsh or what? :)

After all three Therapies were done we headed to the Memorial Hospital to pick up Dr. Stephen Smith's Medical Records only that it turned out we got records but not the one I had asked for. I received a 1 inch big pile of papers about his Therapy progress but nothing about his initial assessments when he became sick or of the Muscle Biopsy. No, for that I found out when we got home I have to deal with Pueblo, CO. Now I called them and she said 'No Problem, just come in and sign a Release'. Well, we live about 2 hours from there :( So I asked if she can fax it instead. Now I hope this will work.
I also received a 100 page fax this afternoon from Dr. Youngs Office and it was all documentation from Connor's initial pain in December to now. I did sign release papers for that office on the 27th, yesterday, and I signed two, one for Alexander and one for Connor but they were meant to be from the beginning when we first moved to WP to now. So I am not sure why I just got parts of Connor.
I am just hoping this will not all turn out to be harder then I anticipated but it is still the beginning so I am holding on to some hope.
I faxed two release forms to TCH and CMH and hope to hear a responds from them as well.
Trust me when I tell you that the amount of paperwork coming our way will be huge. One year of documenting a child who was in the Hospital for almost 8 weeks and has been in constant care of Doctor Visits and Therapies now for 10 months....
Scary ....

We did get to see Naoma today and I am still as confused about her future treatments as I was when this first started. I was lucky to see the Surgeon,
Dr. Richard M. Malyszek, and I asked him what was going to happen next and he said that she might be able to go home tomorrow and she should be back to normal when it comes to her diet. All she needs to watch out for is not to lift anything over 20 lb.
Now this sounds great unless you look at Naoma and talk to her. She was still on no food or liquids and was still only nibbling on Ice Chips when we arrived and the boys actually took turns feeding them to her.
So I thought how do you send someone home who had parts of her intestines removed and has not had anything to eat since then? How do you know her bowls are working right?
Plus I have not seen her walk yet either and she looks very weak and frail to me.
So, out of the room I went again and to my luck once again there was still Dr. Malyszek and Dr. Young. I asked then about when she will be able to eat food and Dr. Young said she can start any time and that he will change the order now.
So we left shortly after and on our drive out of the hospital we say Sandy being driven into the hospital. When I talked to Sandy later I found out she was eating by the time he got to her room. So I am curious to see what happens tomorrow.

Now I did hear that there is a rumor going around that she will be moved from the Hospital to a Rehab Clinic which I think would be wonderful in certain ways. Hard in some ways on both of the people we so love but I think in the long term it would be really beneficial. Now this seems to be a rumor that is traveling the Church Congregation but not one that must have reached the Surgeon because he never mentioned that to me, but I guess that does not mean anything either. Maybe he thought I was not trust worthy to be told this, who knows :)

We also put up our Travel Trailer in Craigs List last night and it seems to get a good bit attention. I think if Ron was home it could be sold tomorrow but I have no idea how to show people how to open the awning and where the Title is. I found one Title that could be a match but the year is wrong on it and for Body Type it has TU and for Model it says UTL.....

So, today was very busy for us and I am very tired but saw that our DVR recorded the Season beginning of the Amazing Race and i would love to watch that :)

Wishing you all a good night!

Hugs,

R A C A

No comments:

Post a Comment