Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Thursday, November 11, 2010

A near Medicine Disaster....

Goodness, where do I start today?
You do know that I have been on a crusade since Connor got sick and that I do not cut people any slack when it comes to Connor's medical care. Well, if I can criticize others then I better be prepared to call myself on the floor when I mess up and today I did!

One of Connor's drugs he takes is called Cyclosporin. We are not to sure what kind of role this drug is really making in Connor's care but since he started taking this the same week he started IVIG and he started getting better we all decided we won't mess with something if it is working. So, off all the drugs Connor takes this is the most horrid tasting one of all. He 'only' has to take 0.4 ml twice daily but that still causes for a lot of gagging reflexes to kick in. The interesting part of this drug as well is the fact that even thought he is taking it now for 9 months it does not truly show up much in his blood levels. Of course the side effect of intense hair growth is showing up but the other part about the impact this drug can have on the kidney function has not materialized! This is a really good thing because Connor after all only has one kidney.
Well, every few weeks I pick up a new bottle and it comes in this little round glass bottle with a special top and syringe to draw up the medication. This month for some reason I was given a bottle that resembles the same bottles Connor gets for some of his other drugs ...
This morning I got all his medications out and started pre-filling the syringes he has to take. 3.5 ml of Prednisone, 2.5 ml of Enalapril, one crushed pill of Folic Acid dissolved in OJ and 0.4 ml of Cyclosporin.
I went and put the plate of medications in front of Connor who always starts out with the Cyclosporin because it is the worst, and then works himself down to the Enapapril and TUMS because they 'taste' the best. I gave him the first syringe and it went as well as it can go, the Folic Acid .. no problem. Then came the Prednisone ... I thought Connor was going to get sick right then and there. Somehow he still finished with the Enalapril and TUMS but was going crazy about how horrible the taste in his mouth was. I was really surprised at his reaction but then kept wondering why he was acting so out of character. I went back in the kitchen and looked at the bottles and to my huge shock there was the Cyclosporin sitting on my counter instead of the Prednisone!!! Can you do the math how many times Connor was over his normal dose? Instead of taking 0.4 ml, my son had just taken 3.9 ml!!!
Within a minute of realizing what happened I had e-mailed Dr. Soep, left a phone message on Michelle's phone, Dr. Soeps Nurse, and also told Ron. Ron said to call the Pharmacy and see what the Pharmacist thought. So I was on the phone with Walgreen's about one minute later and had a very calming talk with the Pharmacist on duty. His opinion was that there should be no worry because Connor was used to having this drug in his body and that he thinks if we just skip a day or two we should be fine. About 10 minutes after this I got a call from Dr. Soep and who had a similar report for me ... the pharmacist at TCH had told her that this was not in any form an overdose but that we should now skip two days of taking this drug. The more Dr. Soep and I talked we decided to skip three days. I went and told Connor, and my son thought those were the best news ever! A break from the drugs he so despises! He then asked me if we could do this all the time ... take a lot of it just once a week!!! gosh how simple it all is to a child's mind!!! My heart beat calmed down by around noon!!!

So almost 12 months of giving my son drugs twice daily ... just one slip and the outcome could have been bad. I got lucky and as Dr. Soep said to me: 'The best part of this is that this will be the last time I make this mistake'. Yes, I am positive at this one!!!

Hugs,

A


2 comments:

  1. Wow!! We are not the only ones :) Kory also HATES her Cyclosporine She gets 0.8 twice a day, but thankfully it is now the only med in a syringe!! She has been on it for 3 years now and sometimes she likes to mix it in orange or prune juice but mostly she just takes it...I can so see KOry having the same reaction of taking more "once" a week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You so so much for your post!!!! I can not tell you how great it feels to be so open and have the kind of friends who understand :) Hugs to you and I love the picture you have of Kory :)

    ReplyDelete