Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Monday, May 9, 2011

Saying Goodbye, Chicago - CMH and Friends ....

Tomorrow the boys and I will have to say our Goodbyes to my Mom and Dad as they are heading home to Germany again. Ron already said his Goodbyes when he left for Flight Training on Sunday and as with each visit it seems to get harder and harder to let them go.
I admit I am one kind of person that loves having my parents around and it was a most wonderful six weeks for us. It started out very sad when right after my parents arrived we lost their precious baby, Trixie. Trixie has been a part of our family since Ron and I got married and we gave them a small white fluffy puppy for a gift. It broke our hearts loosing her!

The boys have always been very close to my parents as well and they have not been happy about their upcoming departure. Yesterday Connor complained that they are only here for such a short time and I explained to him again that we have to share the people we love with the rest of our family. I still have four siblings living in Germany and they have families and children as well that love the attention and company of my parents. To this the boys said that they have them for a much longer time during the year ... so to make up for it Connor and Alexander have talked Oma and Opa into letting them share their bed each night for the last couple of days. I have to say my parents are brave as our dumplings are very restless sleepers. Alexander more so then Connor. I on the other hand enjoyed the extra space it gives me ;)
Since my parents leave late in the afternoon tomorrow and the boys and I are leaving early in the morning on Wednesday for Chicago, we decided to spend the night in Denver and save us the drive back and forth from LG to DEN. We will arrive in Chicago on Wednesday and our Appointment with Dr. Curran will be on Thursday. I am really excited to hear what their feelings are on Connor's progress and our tapering of the Steroids. To imagine that Connor is down to just 1 ml a day of Prednisone!!! I so hope that they will see what we are seeing and that the Blood work results will confirm that we are on the right track. I tell you there are days when I can just taste and feel the hope for Remission :)
Our trip will also give us the joy of catching up with dear friends. If we are lucky we will see the Miller Family, who were one of our roommates at CMH last year. We are also looking forward to meeting up with Candy, a wonderful friend of a friend of mine who lives close to CMH and who has endured and is still feeling the pain from loosing her niece to Leukemia just this past year.
There is one person, truly one family on my mind as well and that is Henry and his parents. Hardly a day goes by when I do not think back of our very first roommates at CMH! then of course there is Hope and her family. Going back to Chicago is always a complete mixture of feelings. The hope for good news for Connor, the hope but also pull at our hearts for the fight both of Connor's roommates are still fighting. The true feeling of pain for the family of Hope, and for Candy. Going to CMH is like nothing I can put in words. Walking up to the 4th floor and seeing the wonderful nurses and the love they radiate, remembering the laughter and tears. Truly, I would not want to trade in what impact it all had on us but I would give the world if I could reverse the loss of Hope and of Hannah. Of course so many more have lost their fight and I am only mentioning those two names because I know a small part of their journey.
We will return for home on Friday morning and catch up with Ron for a couple of days before he has to leave again.
 
I hope you all had a great Mothers Day. Mine was perfect in every way as I had my Mom with me, my Dad, Ron for half of the day and of course my dumplings who seemed to be more excited about Mothers Day then even I was. Completely perfection of course would be my whole extended family, all the way from Alaska to Germany :) one can dream, right? :)

Have a safe week!

Hugs,

R A C A

No comments:

Post a Comment