Timeline from first symptom to diagnosis

Our son Connor was diagnosed with JDM in January of 2010 and here is a bit of a timeline to show you how this diagnosis was reached...

Towards the end of November 2009, Connor mentioned some pain in his right foot. We found a Plantar Wart and began treating it. We went on vacation in Germany were he mentioned a pain in his knee's, to feeling in his own words, pain 'inside his legs'. By the time we got home on December 9, he needed to be carried almost everywhere. By the end of December he was unable to feed himself, dress himself, sit up or down, lay down and of course walk. Here is a list of tests he went through between December 10 to December 28, 2009

X-ray of his Hips
MRI of his spine
X-ray of his chest
CAT Scan of his brain
CAT Scan of his chest
MRI of his chest
MRI of his hips
Numerous Blood Work
Spinal Tap
and we finished with a Muscle Biopsy

There were many speculations of what might be causing Connor so much pain and one of them was Gullian Barre Syndrom (GBS) due to his first symptoms showing up within a few days of his H1N1 Flu Shot.

The final Diagnosis came on January 11, 2010
-Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM)-

Hope

Hope

Monday, November 26, 2012

Head Colds all around ....

Oh the joy of passing on head colds ...
It seems we are now battling head colds on and off for a month!

The boys started up about three to four weeks ago and then were in the clear only to wait for Ron's turn who had to deal with it while being on call. I was so sure I was in the clear until Thanksgiving Day came around and I felt that oh so familiar burning in my lungs.
Each and very year I am convinced I can ride it out and it seems each year I end up at the Doctor. This year I am still hoping I can keep this contained enough as the irony is that I dislike nothing more in my life then having to go and see a Doctor! That coming from a Mom who drags her poor son's to Doctors all the time and preaches how important their checkups, and in Connor's case his Therapies, are for them.

So the joy of teaching your kids: Do as I say but not as I do!
I know I know it is a horrid habit but one I think most of us parents are battling with - haha

As to our home life we are thrilled to be in the Christmas Season. Our favorite Season of the year and how I love love love the magic and joy that still is in my dumplings about this Holiday. I know my time is limited as at age 8 there are not many years left when that magic disappears to some degree, but for now we are still baking away, preparing Reindeer Food and setting up the Elf to watch over them.
Christmas letters are done and waiting to be mailed as are most of our Christmas Cards :)

Happy Holiday Season to you all! and may those wicked colds stay away from you :)

Hugs,

R A C A

No comments:

Post a Comment